Dowling Catholic High School
In 1970, the BVM Sisters agreed to share in the development of the new facility after a community study indicated a co-educational high school was desired by the people of the Des Moines Diocese. Dowling Catholic High School/St. Joseph Educational Center at 1400 Buffalo Road opened in 1972.
From 2007-present, the campus has undergone $30 million in renovations and additions as part of the “We Believe Campaign.” All of the classrooms, the sports complex and the media center were entirely renovated. Additions include new science and performing arts wings, a weight room, an access road to 17th Street and an additional parking lot. In the spring of 2015, the St. Joseph Chapel (in honor of St. Joseph Academy) and a new school entrance were completed.