Ut Fidem, Latin for “Keep the Faith,” strives to develop Dowling Catholic High School students into intentional disciples who will keep the faith for the rest of their lives. Ut Fidem does this by supporting students in forming deep, personal relationships with Christ through small group ministry and faith mentoring.
Each week, students gather with their small group of 5-7 students and are given a space where they can speak freely about their personal faith journey. Students form virtuous relationships with one another, and as result, develop deep relationships with Christ. No longer are students alone in the journey, but they are walking shoulder to shoulder together in Christ’s mission.
TELL ME MORE...
- 5-7 students in each group (same gendered groups)
- 1 Ut Fidem adult mentor
- VIRTUS certified with background check
- Received Ut Fidem small group mentor training
- Equipped with “Forming Intentional Disciples,” by Sherry Weddell
- Groups meet for an hour once a week.
- Students discuss anything from apologetics to personal prayer to the life of the saints to any question on their hearts.
- Flexible scheduling- each group finds their own time to meet that works for each individual student and mentor. In this way, everyone can find a time to prioritize their faith and participate in an Ut Fidem group.
- Weekly “commits”- each week the group chooses a weekly faith challenge in an effort to take what was discussed in the meeting into their daily lifestyle.
- Ut Fidem forms groups out of friendships so that the same students who talk about faith, are the same students that eat lunch together, and the same students who play basketball together or sing in choir together, etc. This is vital to avoid the compartmentalization of faith.
ADVANTAGES OF SMALL GROUPS…
Ut Fidem can uniquely meet all 5 essential needs of a human person.
- The need to be understood.
- The need to belong.
- The need to be transparent.
- The need for critical thinking around faith and beliefs.
- The need for guidance.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED WITH UT FIDEM
- Join an Ut Fidem group as a student.
- Discern Ut Fidem adult mentorship.
- Join the Ut Fidem 24 hour prayer team.
- Sign up to receive the Ut Fidem monthly newsletter.
If interested in becoming involved in any of the above ways, contact Ut Fidem coordinator, Addie Magruder, at email@example.com
, or stop by her office during school hours.